If you're already a walking fan then you will not need to be persuaded of the benefits of walking. But if you are new to the pursuit - or still thinking about buying your first pair of walking boots and waterproofs then perhaps you should read on.
There are numerous, proven health benefits of walking. These include:
* Living longer
* Stronger heart
* Improved circulation
* Lower blood pressure
* More efficient lungs
* Reduced risk of breast cancer
* Increased energy levels
* Stronger bones
* Improved stamina
* Better sex
* Stronger muscles
* More flexible joints
* Reduced stress
* Lower weight
* More lean muscle, less fat
* Enhanced mood
* Better sleep
* Less chance of depression
* Reduced chance of arthritis
* Reduced likelihood of osteoporosis.
Shall we continue? Or do you get the general idea that walking is fab for your health and fitness?
Walking is a great calorie burner
* Brisk walking burns up to 100 calories per mile – more if you are very overweight or if you are pushing yourself uphill.
Even more walking advantages
And on top of all these amazing health benefits there are a number of other advantages:
* Walking is a sociable activity and great for keeping up with friends or meeting new people. (One friend met the love of her life while walking a Munro!).
* Walking can provide valuable "me time" away from the hustle and bustle of your normal life.
* Walking is ideal for a range of ages and fitness levels.
* Walking takes you to new and scenic places.
* Walking takes you off the beaten track and on an exciting adventure.
* Walking offers a great hobby, especially if you embark on a goal such as bagging Munros.
* Walking is an activity that you can do all year round.
* It's a cheap activity once you're bought the basic kit.
Once you've read all this you'll be wondering why every single person isn't out walking at every opportunity!